Thursday, October 22, 2015

Still Summer in Hiroshima


Friday, October 23 

There is a morning when you wake up in a foreign country and feel different, as if you finally live there. I live here now. I have my paths and try to take different routes every day. I walk miles a day in the hot sun. It took my going halfway around the world to get back into a darkroom (with a bright red sink) to play - having boxes of abandoned paper for my use helps! I feel like I am in college again when I am in the darkroom - making photograms of Fukushima chestnuts and plastic, Hiroshima A-Bombed roof tile fragments.....like these = some include propaganda from Fukushima, like this first one:










Someone left tiny acorns at this memorial / shrine





I am finally reading the 10 volume series of Barefoot Gen, a graphic novel written by Keiji Nakazawa, an A-bomb survivor from Hiroshima. It is truly amazing, disturbing, real and immersive.



every day there are moments like this, walking across one of the many bridges 
                       
                     
to meet Mari at the Peace Museum to make cyanotypes of A-Bombed artifacts in the sunshine garden. She believes I bring the sun to Japan. I love her smile, her dedication, her style - that blue apron! And she loves Ishiuchi Miyako as much as I do!






putting artifacts away until my visits in November



and some of the artifacts / cyanotypes that came out of that session:



 the view from Hiroshima City University Gallery -



even the Hiroshima toilet paper rolls make me happy

 temporary sculpture by me and Charlie - Hiroko made us take it down - boo hoo


student work



art building elevator


studio faculty show




these are all wood



There is beauty everywhere if you look up


 or straight ahead


or to your left


or at your feet at the bus center


i am drawn to any tree that has been cut down in Hiroshima and/or limb off of a tree. I see many city workers examining trees, in teams of 3, with cameras and notebooks and reference books, so I trust they have good/every reason


Totorro


the best handmade soba ever - 100% buckwheat, sesame and soy dipping sauces with scallions and wasabi; when you are done slurping thes erefreshingly cold noodles, they bring you hot soba water to pour into your cups to drink seame and soy tea/broth - yum!






some of the hundred of schoolchildren that visit the peace park and museum every day - sitting in the shade





late night bar lobby


faculty video


2 recent collages




me posing in the sunshine garden while A-Bombed artifacts are exposed to the sun


persimmons drying


not a Yayoi Kusama wall but a wall I want




anago - river eel with a ginger stick dipped in dried shiso leaf


me drunk as a skunk with Tomo and his best friend


by the time i got hiome, i had fallen on my face - no more than 1 drink a nite for the rest of my time here

art department elevator before my fall


shadow of mother carrying dead child, peace park


my favorite cyanotype ever


the sign in the staff area of the peace museum for their break room








No comments: