Wednesday, December 9, 2015

The Bittersweet Last Week


There may be no rhyme or reason to this post. Random pleasures, finds, noticeable light......Tomorrow I go to a gallery-in-progress to install my work on freshly painted walls. Here is a picture of the wall a few days ago = blocked with Beuys bags full of gallery destruction bits and pieces. As I tell my students, most of being artist is "schlepping". I find myself in these unfinished, raw, alternative, previous factory-office-warehouse spaces frequently, somehow involved in the transformation.....happily so. The show is of 4 artists, including me and my friends Mari Ishiko (who is opening the gallery), Mayumi and a guy I have never met, Ari. His grandfather was in the two planes that dropped the atomic bombs on Japan. He works for National Geographic and is here on a fulbright.


Mayumi's Iwaki wire basket used for collecting things in the garden...


Gallery building bathroom has this funny still life on the sink's mantle..


Gallery gets great light. Light that makes a dull box glow.



First install of some of my work, now talen down. 2nd install starts tomorrow.









One of the twins on my bed after a day of feasting and fun



The rabbit=poison=gas island again:





























Green tea soba noodles, egg, pork, lemon slices and cayenne powder cones to put in hot broth to dip everything into, cooked on a steaming hot roof tile....delicious!




I have never seen so many ladders in a city before as I have in Hiroshima.


Mirei, my new friend and her daughter Maila in my room...



Maila on my bed. I love this picture.


Polipo pizza: pumpkin, ricotta, chestnuts, basil, mozzerella....


Polipo - the best whole fish I have ever had: lots of lemon, parsley and salt



Another Polipo pizza: zucchini, fish, cheese, tomato, wood fired...




Leona in my room, lovely girl, beautiful girl...



Maila in my bed - so cute and sweet....



Timeless Hiroshima....


World Friendship Center Dining Room


Bunnies!!!!


Mari and Kanade ripping up the gallery floor after a good cry and doughnuts. The most stylish laborers I have ever seen!


Seto Inland Sea


Happy Twins - love being with and watching them!



No comments: